The 5 star Gleneagles Hotel in Auchterarder is legendary for its golf, Michelin starred fine dining and Scottish heritage. So when we were offered a familiarisation trip to be able to share a venue finding review, we jumped at the chance. It couldn’t be any better than the photos could it?
Well yes, is the short answer. Pulling into the 850 acre Gleneagles Estate, surrounded by dramatic hills and forests, you instantly know that you are arriving somewhere pretty special. Gleneagles is one of the Leading Hotels of the World, having hosted G8 summits and the Ryder Cup, so for even the most well-travelled guests, this represents luxury in a class of its own.
The team at the hotel go out of their way to tailor your experience, from personalised menus to take home as keepsakes to suggestions on the best routes for us to explore the grounds. We loved the obvious pride they take in their Scottish heritage; our Scottish themed dinner was opened with a bagpiper and a traditional toast to the haggis. It ended out on the front steps, wrapped in tartan blankets watching a bagpipe procession.
Our trip allowed us to consider the highlights that Make Events clients could enjoy.
UNIQUE TEAM BUILDING ACTIVITIES
The on-site options for team building activities are varied and unique. Animal lovers can train a gun dog, visit the equestrian centre or the falconry school. The shooting lodge offers archery, air rifles and clay pigeon shooting. The lodge itself is extremely cosy, and would work perfectly as a private dining room at the end of your day of shooting.
Of course, Gleneagles is renowned for its golf, having been voted the Best Golf Resort in the World for 5 years running by the Telegraph, and for many, playing a round on one of the three Championship courses is a once-in-a-lifetime thrill. PGA qualified Pros are on hand at the Golf Academy to help you perfect your swing.
STUNNING FOOD AND DRINK OPTIONS
Whether you are looking for somewhere to grab a casual lunch, sip a cocktail, or you need an extra special private dining space; Gleneagles has the perfect spot. These stood out for us:
- Andrew Fairlie – this 2 Michelin star restaurant feels very exclusive and is described as unashamedly French with a Scottish twist. Whether you choose a la carte, or the degustation menu, you instantly know that this is going to be one of the best meals you’ve ever had.
- The Dormy Clubhouse – great for a post-golf drink and comfort food from the tandoor oven. There is also a semi-private dining room at the back, great for meetings or an almost private dinner with a bit of atmosphere. The Blue Bar is an adjoining al fresco whisky and cigar bar. Snuggled around the firepit, you notice the tables have a square in the middle, designed to hold your bottle of Johnny Walker Blue Label.
- The Birnam Brasserie – we were shown a sneak peek of this new American-French brasserie before it had even opened. The garden terrace is going to be perfect for summer with its retractable roof.
- Cellar Experience – going ‘behind the scenes’ and into the cellar, your guests can enjoy a completely bespoke menu matched perfectly to the wines of their choice. Or you can leave the wine choices to the expert sommeliers.
HOTEL FACILITIES AT A GLANCE
- Over 230 bedrooms, including 26 suites
- 15 event spaces, to cater for intimate meetings through to conferences for 2000+ guests
- One hour’s drive from Edinburgh and Glasgow airports, and sits on the main London to Inverness train line
- ESPA spa plus two indoor pools and one heated outdoor pool
From the moment we arrived at Gleneagles, we were made to feel like VIPs. As we waited to check in, we were treated to a hand and arm massage. The surprise bagpipe procession was magical; guests are made to feel as though everything has been created just for them. Gleneagles showed us that they are the experts in personalising a trip, making a guests’ stay feel completely bespoke to them and leaving them yearning to return to this fairy-tale.
Make Events are the go-to corporate events agency for the North’s household names. Whether you want to educate, motivate or celebrate, we will create the ultimate experience.